Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Homemade Mozzarella


This year I finally got around to reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  It's been on my to-read list for several years, but while I was a new business owner, I just didn't have much time to read anything non-work related.  My new job as a  stay-at-home-mom affords me much more time for reading for pleasure.

One of the recipes given in the book was for 30-Minute Mozzarella from Ricki Carroll.  Of course, I wasn't satisfied with just one cheese recipe, and purchased Ricki Carroll's book Home Cheese-Making: Recipes For 75 Delicious Cheeses.



I was a little nervous about this whole process.  I'd made paneer before, but that was super-easy (just add lemon juice, drain, and press).  This was going to require a little more attention to detail.  


Mise en place.  Well, most of it, anyway.
I used my instant-read meat thermometer to monitor the temperature.
Curds and whey.


The mozzarella is delicious!  It was difficult not to eat the whole batch right then and there!  I suppose a pound of cheese might exceed the recommended daily intake for one person... 


I am not going to repost this recipe since I didn't alter it from the version that is posted here.  It did take me closer to 45 minutes than 30, but that may be the fault of my being a cheesemaking newbie. 

My first post on my new food blog and I didn't adapt the recipe one iota, ha!  Between that and the awesome (not!) photographs, I'm off to a good start in the world of food blogging!


Food bloggers: do you adapt or create every recipe you post? 

What kind of camera do you use to get those awesome photos?

Most importantly, what kind of cheese should I make next?

No comments:

Post a Comment